30 days of music – Day 7: Name a song that reminds you of a certain event
I have been stuck on this day since I first looked at the list. A song that reminds me of a certain event. Hmmmm….
Okay. Unfortunately, many songs that remind me of events aren’t so happy. I associate positive memories with people, and for whatever reason, I associate negative memories with events. Here are some in no particular order:
- Restless Heart – Peter Cetera: Reminds me of getting arrested and going to jail for running away from my horrible mother.
- As Long as I Can Dream – Expose: Reminds me of my high school graduation and the stupid girl that sang the National Anthem instead of me and my bestie. And then, to make matters worse, this song was our “class song.” Um, really? Yes, I am still bitter.
- Time – Pink Floyd: I’ll reference this song again, I think. This song is the reason I hate Pink Floyd. It reminds me of bad bad things that happened one night in my youth. I’m stopping short of sharing the story because, really – who wants to hear that?
- Smoke on the Water – Deep Purple: This one isn’t a bad memory, even if the song is burned into my brain. This would remind me of my husband’s “band”. They would come over and drink and “practice” and I swear to you, all I ever remember is Smoke on the Water. But, those were good times. Simpler, to be honest. Just me and the boys sitting around eating and drinking and laughing and sharing and growing up together. This one is a happy memory.
- Run – Collective Soul: This song reminds me of Columbine. Gosh… that was just one of the songs that was playing around that time. And my heart bled for those kids. It still does.
I’m kinda glad to be done with this one today. If I hear any songs that remind me of good events (aside from Smoke on the Water), I’ll be sure to update this post.